Wednesday, February 16, 2011

E.M.V. - Eat MORE Veggies

I've never wanted to be a vegetarian. I'm a meat eater. I can't help it. That's just who I am. A good steak is hard to beat.

But lately, I've been challenging myself to eat more vegetables and find different options for protein and fiber - gotta lead a good example for Joe. The results? Super tasty recipes, clearer skin and added energy.

Cooking nightly dinners can get really boring, but at least with veggies there are thousands of combinations and I'm embarrassed to say, there are some I've never even tried, and now some I can't imagine going without ever again!

For instance. I now love kale. Great in soups, sauteed with garlic, or roasted. And, a new use for cauliflower - steamed, mashed and whipped into a mashed potato like consistency. Oh, and leeks. They're just like GIANT green onions, except milder. Great in salads, soups, and more.

I guess the interest came, when I had to start cooking a lot of vegetarian foods for friends and family. And, once I tried meals sans meat, I realized I wasn't missing much.

Friends, please share some of your fav veggies recipes with this aspiring veggie cook.

1 comment:

  1. Here's my family recipe for Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie). Get the filo at Jon's, it's super cheap there. My kids love this and it's very easy to make. My mom's is the first recipe; scroll down for mine with US measurements :) & I use non-fat cottage cheese.

    http://transatlanticrecipeswap.blogspot.com/2008/03/omas-famous-spanakopita.html

    ReplyDelete