Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bedtime Stories with the Fiedlers

Joe loves reading before bedtime. His father and I are hard pressed to keep our eyes open long enough to get through the first few pages of Green Eggs and Ham. But I can tell you this - I've read some books so many times, I know the words by heart, and probably could "read" them with my eyes closed.

I've been trying to do the math. If Joe is two and a half years old and we've been reading to him since he was at least four months old, the same books night after night, how many times have I read the following sentences? Props to whomever can name the books from which these quotes were taken. We have some interesting picks as you'll see.

"Good night, Hollywood Bowl, where musicians fill the air with song after song. Good night Griffith Observatory. Do you like looking at the stars?"

"Did you ever have the feeling, there's a wasket in your basket ...or a nureau in your bureau?"

"Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave?"

"I ran and found a brickel bush. I hid myself away. I got brickels in my britches but I stayed there anyway."

"Flying is just one thing I can do in my dreams. Anything is possible! I could have an elephant trunk, three heads, lobster claws or a potato body."


I think Dr. Suess will always remain a favorite of mine. His stories are so much more than fiction for children. If you don't know what I'm talking about take the story of the "Zaxs" for example - one of our favorites. If it's not a good example of our current political climate, I don't know what is. His books were pretty controversial at the time. The most controversial, according to the BBC:


"The Butter Battle Book, published in 1984, about the arms race. Taking the place of the US and the USSR are the Yooks and the Zooks, who disagree on whether bread should be eaten butter-side down, or butter-side up. The story ends with a blank page, allowing readers to imagine the result of the rising tensions for themselves. The book remained on the New York Times' bestseller list for six months - for adults. The televised version of the book was shown in the USSR in 1990; Dr Seuss joked that it was after this that the country began falling apart."

2 comments:

  1. Wasket in your basket is definitely from Wocket in my Pocket - that was one of my favourites when I was little! I'm wanting to introduce my 16 month old to Dr Suess, but I'm not too sure which story to start with, as he's still at the stage where the most exciting thing is looking at pictures and turning pages (oh, and lifting the flaps, but that's not really a Suess thing :-( ) Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd try: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish or Fox with Socks. Those are very simple. Thanks for commenting Ruthy :)

    ReplyDelete